Frequently Asked Questions
Statute and rules for PT/PTA and AT are located within the 'Public' tab. Answers to most frequently asked questions may be located within the 'Forms' tab. Please download the applicable form to view all requirements related to that request. For any additional questions you may have after reviewing this information, please see below. All other inquiries may be emailed to our office at firstname.lastname@example.org. If an answer is not readily available, it will be discussed at our next board meeting. This board does not address any billing or insurance issues.
Please note that all responses the West Virginia Board of Physical Therapy (hereinafter “Board”) gives to individual questions are based solely upon WV Code § 30-20-1 et seq. and the Code of State Rules 16-1-1 et seq. These Statutory and Regulatory provisions govern the jurisdiction of the Board, and its sole purpose of regulating the practice of Physical Therapy and the protection of the public. As such, the responses do not take into account any billing issues and the regulations that govern such reimbursement. Moreover, a provider should consult with his/her legal counsel for questions pertaining to billing for Physical Therapy services.
- 1. What is the processing time frame for applications/forms?
- 2. How can I check the status of my application?
- 3. What forms of payment are accepted?
- 4. How can I receive a receipt for my payment?
- 5. What is my licensee account, and how do I use it?
You may check the contact information our office currently has on file for you, view your licensure information, search and track your CE courses, and, most importantly, renew your license. You may also print your license from your account within 90 days of initial licensure or renewal by clicking your license number under the 'License' tab. Please see 'Licensee Account Login' tab at the bottom of this page and log in instructions below.
Username: First letter of first name with last name (no space)
Password: Last four digits of SSN
- 6. Why am I unable to log in to my licensee account with the information from the previous question?
- 7. How do I know if I have been made eligible to test?
- 8. Why have I not been made eligible to test yet?
- 9. How can I submit contact information changes to the board, and why is this rule so important?
- 10. If a PT/PTA continuing education course is approved by another state Physical Therapy board or FSBPT’s ProCert, is it automatically approved for my WV hours?
- 11. If a PT/PTA continuing education course is provided by my employer, is it automatically approved for my WV hours?
- 12. Are any PT/PTA continuing education courses automatically approved for my WV hours?
- 13. How can I verify if a PT/PTA continuing education course is WV Board approved?
- 14. If a PT/PTA continuing education course was approved in a previous year but not the year it was taken, can I still receive credit?
- 15. How can I obtain credit for an unapproved PT/PTA continuing education course I have already taken or wish to take?
- 16. Can I use extra PT/PTA continuing education hours from a previous renewal period towards the next?
- 17. Do a certain number of my PT/PTA continuing education hours need to be classroom versus online?
- 18. Do I have to take exactly 12 PT/PTA continuing education hours each year?
- 19. Do new graduates have to complete the PT/PTA continuing education requirements for their first renewal?
- 20. Why is no grace period given for renewals?
- 21. How can I file a complaint against a licensee?